Wednesday, February 13, 2008

50 Dollar Cover

When I visited Target last night I paid my 50 dolllar cover charge. If you are not aware of the 50 dollar cover charge here it goes. Regardless of what you went to Target to buy you will spend 50+ dollars. For example, I went in there yesterday to get contact lense solution. I think it costs around 7 or 8 dollars. I ended up with contact lense solution, dinner, and Valentine's Day presents. Total on my receipt was 48 and some change. You say, but Rachel that is not 50 dollars. Then I proceed to tell you the Target by my house has a Starbucks. So my $3.18 tall = small mocha puts me over the 50 dollar cover charge.

Have you ever been anywhere and stood in line for an obscene amount of time? This happened to me last night while I was trying to pay my 50 dollar cover charge. No lie, both people in front of me paid with checks. I think by now checks could be considered antiquities. I haven't written a check in at least a year and I don't think I have ordered checks in about 3 years. First, jump your old asses into the 21st century and get a checkcard. Second, if you are going to write a check at least have it pre-filled before your order is rung up. Third, I can only assume if you are writing a check its because you don't have enough money in your bank account to cover what you are buying (I totally used to do this so that is why I can bring it up). Fourth, save the paper and energy it takes to make, write, and process checks.

To make matters worse I am in awe that this 'how stuff works' actually exists. However, if it helps in my crusade to move my grandma to a checkcard then I say AMEN!

http://money.howstuffworks.com/atm1.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same with record shops. I should just hand over the $50 when I walk in through the door, to be honest. I genuinely think that if I walked out of Virgin Megastore without spending $50, the alarms would start to go off and the security guards would throw me to the fllor in some kind of arm lock.

Am going to Tennessee this weekend - WalMart here I come...!

Anonymous said...

"$50 cover.." HYSTERICAL and I'm with you, I think the ONLY reason people right checks is for the implied grace period they offer when funds are low. I wish they'd be abolished completely.