Friday, December 21, 2007

Here's a Tip: Don't Fry Bacon Naked

I think the hardest jobs in the world are in retail. Before working in technology I worked retail; anywhere from the drink girl at Golden Corral, shoe girl at Wal-Mart, and video girl at Blockbuster. By the way, I think it should be a requirement by law for any consumer to have to work retail at some point in their lifetime. It will make you appreciate what you do and how not to treat the person behind the counter. Don't get me wrong, I have had some really bad customer service experiences but I can separate those from me just being in a shitty mood and deciding to take it out on the person taking my order or ringing up my groceries. One retail job I have never done and will never do is wait tables. You could not pay me enough! Making half of minimum wage (or even less in a lot cases), carrying multiple drinks on a big tray, working all day shifts, smelling like french fries, dealing with hungry assholes, and having to clean up after screaming, squirming 2 year olds I say NO THANKS! Anyone who can wait tables is amazing and deserve compensation for the job they do. If you don't tip you deserve that big snot rocket in your burger or Visine in your drink. Tip bitches!

Throughout high school and college my husband worked at a car wash and they were able to accept tips. Instead of handing him money one day a patron told him "You want a tip, I'll give you a tip. Don't fry bacon naked." Priceless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"By the way, I think it should be a requirement by law for any consumer to have to work retail at some point in their lifetime. It will make you appreciate what you do and how not to treat the person behind the counter. Don't get me wrong, I have had some really bad customer service "

I love that you said his - I waited ables for 6 years :(